Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Father - August Meier


This is where it all started. I lost my father at a very early age. I had no way of getting past my grief. I, one day, got a canvas board, picked up a pencil and sketched my dad from a picture I had taken of him just prior to his untimely death from a massive heart attack.

The only way I can show my father's picture is place it for sale. I just wish you would have known this man. I think he would be honored if someone purchased it and show him with honor and dignity. He is a good worthy example to every man, woman and child in our world today or ever.

My Father-August Meier , 1889 - 1964 Painted in 1965

by Marilyn (Meier) O'Brien

It was done of my beloved father, August Meier. He came to the United States of America from Zurich, Switzerland, actually Urdorf, (Canton of Bern')deaf from the age of 21 since scarlet fever turned in on him (tone deaf) with 6 languages under-his-belt and a degree in engineering from a French University to become a citizen of the United States and by correspondence of the University of Wisconsin, he did it. He was a legal immigrant who went through the rigors of Ellis Island as a law was passed that for $1.00 an immigrant could be legalized if he/she farmed a piece of land given to them by the United States government for one year. Dad almost lost his life when the rope was frayed when he came up from the 300 foot deep well that he dug by himself. That land was later taken back from him by the U.S. Air Force as part of a military base by the claim of imminent domain for their meager offer of $4,000.00. He worked that land and toiled that land and was proud but it embitters your heart to know the government wanted it for a pittance. I have many stories from both he and mom.

He is a wonderful example for me to follow. He passed away 04/11/64 of possibly many health problems, but I do know he had a massive heart attack. He worked as a foreman for the "Gisholt (Gis-holt pronounced) Machine Company" for 43 years. He was know there as "Augie" or "Pop Meier". He married my mom, Selma (Johnson) Meier in 1938 and with a wife (Emma Mae (Wittwer)Meier dead of cancer with daughter "Alice Mae (Lumia) Meier" and son John Warren (Rae), he had 5 more children. I being one of them. He always said we kept him young. Mom would never allow me to paint her because she said who wants to see an old face. I cried over that but I could never paint her out of respect for her wishes. One of these days I may just break that rule and paint a matched set, mom and dad. I haven't got through that grief yet because I was her care person and...I just can't. It gets complicated...

Alice passed away very young of breast cancer and I had to find a way to by pass my immense grief. I sat down and painted my beloved dad's portrait. When I was done I did not fill in the sky because I think of him being in Heaven. I had placed it on the fireplace to dry and my mom got very adamant about taking it down. I was hurt but I turned it to face the wall and then asked, "Mom, why"? She said it looks so much like your dad that I can't take it. I was so touched. I said mom thank you. It hung above the fireplace until I decided I wanted dad looking across at me while I work at my business. This is a portrait that I hope can explain how I can paint the picture almost identical to another person. I do know this gift is a gift from the Trinity and I know God used my parents to give me this gift and I know my dad is always with me as well as, my sister, Alice, Robin Lyn (my daughter), and my mom. 2007, my beloved brother John Warren Meier of MRSA taken to the hospital for a head injury which he recovered only to die in an undignified manner in a dirty hospital. Please clean up our hospitals. I always called him Warrenie as an enderment. I hope I make them proud. Here's to you dad!

Marilyn of Art By Marilyn

This was my protector. My mom was his true partner. Their was love, respect, honesty, concern for each other and I viewed all of this growing up by them as my example. It was easy to honor him.

No comments: